M ark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
A. Many thanks, Mary. That’s a nice compliment!
C. I thought it was terrible.
D. Just kidding.
A. No, I’m not. B. That’ll be lovely. C. I’ll be back soon. D. It doesn’t matter.
A. Traditionalists B. Tradition C. Traditional D. Traditionally
4. People should be allowed to determine their future.
A. show B. decide C. discover D. prove
A. confide in B. reveal to C. gossip about D. conceal from
A. that B. whom C. who D. whose
A. on B. of C. about D. in
A. what John did B. what John does C. what did John do D. what does John do
A. are made B. were made C. making D. made
A. by B. to C. for D. at
A. would fail B. will fail C. wouldn’t fail D. won’t fail
A. have moved B. moved C. move D. is moving
A. with B. of C. for D. about
14. You should concentrate on what the interviewer is asking you then try to answer all his questions.
A. mind B. notice C. consider D. pay attention to
A. because B. although C. despite D. in spite of
A. who B. that C. when D. which
A. with B. by C. to D. on
A. the B. a C. my D. your
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the rest in each of the following questions.
19. A. walked B. explained C. arrived D. allowed
20. A. polite B. smile C. arrive D. river
21. A. rush B. much C. such D. lunch
22. A. homework B. going C. open D. mother
23. A. friends B. tables C. sinks D. posters
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 1to 6.
I live with my parents and two younger brothers. My mother works as a doctor in a big hospital. She must work from 8 a. m. to 5 p. m. and once a week she has to work on a night shift. My father is a biologist. He also has a full – time job in a lab but sometimes he doesn’t come home until very late at night. Although my parents are very busy but they try to spend as much time with their children as possible. It is generally said that ‘men build the house and women make it home’, but in my family, my parents join hands to give us a nice house and a happy home.
Being the eldest child and the only daughter in the family, I try to help with the household chores. My main responsibility is to wash the dishes and take out the garbage. I also take after the boys, who are quite active and mischievous sometimes, but they are obedient and hard – working. They love joining my father in mending things around the house at weekends.
A. two B. three C. four D. five
A. part – time B. night shift C. full – time D. nursing
A. both men and women are good at building houses
B. both husband and wife must join hands to build their house.
C. men are responsible for supporting their family while women’s responsibility is to look after their children.
D. men and women have to live separately.
A. a girl B. a boy C. the only child D. the eldest son
A. doing some washing – up B. washing up and taking out the garbage
C. taking after the two brothers D. taking out the garbage
A. mischievous B. active C. obedient D. obedient and studious
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct word for each or the blanks from 30 to 40.
Asked about life in the future, many people have given different answers to this. Some are pessimistic while others are optimistic.
30. A. much worse B. much better C. much bad D. much good
31. A. economical B. economic C. economically D. economist
32. A. will threaten B. were threatened C. will be threatened D. are threatened
33. A. Additionally B. On contrast C. Opposite D. On the contrary
34. A. fattier B. more healthful C. healthier D. faster
35. A. looked for B. looked up C. looked after D. looked at
36. A. yet B. no longer C. still D. already
37. A. most of B. lot of C. many of D. several of
38. A. extremely B. completely C. quite D. not
39. A. In addition B. Moreover C. So D. However
40. A. bettering B. worsening C. increasing D. profiting
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
41. The last time I saw him was five years ago.
A. I have seen him for five years.
B. I haven’t seen him for five years.
C. I have seen him the last time for five years.
D. It is five years since I see him.
42. “How long have you been studying English, Lan?” asked Tom.
A. Tom asked Lan how long had she been studying English.
B. Tom asked Lan how long she has been studying English.
C. Tom asked Lan how long she had been studying English.
D. Tom asked Lan how long has she been studying English.
43. They are painting the building now.
A. They have the building painted now.
B. The building is painting now.
C. Now the building is painted.
D. The building is being painted now.
44. I want to give you a lift but I don’t have a car.
A. If I had a car, I would give you a lift.
B. If I had a car, I would want to give you a lift.
C. If I wanted you a lift I must have a car.
D. I will give you a lift if! Have a car.
45. He worked very hard but he didn’t pass the exam.
A. He didn’t pass the exam despite he worked very hard.
B. He didn’t pass the exam although he worked very hard.
C. Because of working very hard, he didn’t pass the exam.
D. He didn’t pass the exam in spite of he worked very hard.